Dr .Zakiuddin Ahmed is the former President of eHAP.
“The eHealth Association of Pakistan (eHAP) is a non-profit organization which aims to share and enhance knowledge and advocate policy support for broader implementation of eHealth programs across Pakistan by bringing together eHealth experts and other stakeholders from different parts of Pakistan on one platform.”
Mission To promote adoption and use of eHealth as an integral component of health services and education in Pakistan, through advocacy, evidence, access to recognized experts and resources, policy-support and capacity-building.
Vision To make Pakistan a model for collaborative, evidence-based, informed and integrated eHealth practice in the (developing) world by 2020.
- Keep its primary focus on better health and well-being of the population in Pakistan.
- Strive to improve services in and related to healthcare for better health of the population.
- Remain inclusive of people from all walks of life relevant to eHealth.
- Maintain a tradition of evidence-informed decisions, innovation, evaluation, and dissemination
- Promote locally relevant, culturally sensitive and last-mile technologies.
- Abide by and respect the law of the land / Ethical practice
- Nurture mutual trust & respect among its members.
Aims and Objectives:
- To serve as a forum for the collection, exchange and dissemination of information related to e-health;
- To work, cooperate, liaise with other organizations, institutions, governments, governmental organizations, individuals, societies and corporations involved or concerned with the development and implementation of e-health activities and health care services in Pakistan, and to encourage cooperation among them;
- To assist in the education of individuals, organizations, corporations and society with respect to e-health.
- To promote the advancement of e-health opportunities, technologies and their application for the benefit of Pakistanis;
- To promote and encourage the use of ICT and related technologies in the delivery of healthcare and health education;
- To promote the use of e-health in order to improve the health care system, assist in the improvement of access to healthcare delivery and to benefit the participants in the healthcare system; and
- To encourage research in the fields of Telehealth and health informatics.
History of eHap:
To meet the above needs and in order to bring awareness, build capacity and support policy making in eHealth, a joint meeting of experts in Telehealth (Telemedicine) and technology use for health information management and learning was held at Islamabad Serena hotel on November 27, 2008.The group announced the formation of eHealth Association Pakistan (eHAP). The structure and Philosophy of this group was finalized in its Board Meeting held on February 25, 2009 at the Aga Khan University, Karachi and COMSATS Headquarters Islamabad simultaneously. Both locations were connected via video-conferencing. The new Association aims to increase awareness and capacity in the country to support eHealth as a viable option for improving health services. The association will also guide the government and private sectors in health to strengthen their systems by providing a common platform to share best practices and outcomes. The association has been registered eHAP as a National member of International Society for Telemedicine & eHealth (ISfTeH). The initial structuring of eHealth Association is facilitated by the Aga Khan University, Karachi with funding from Rockefeller Foundation. Structure of eHap The eHAP has 9 board members from all four provinces of Pakistan and the federal capital. A core-group was also elected with consensus to manage the affairs of the association. This group includes Dr. Shariq Khoja (President), Dr. S.M. Mursalin (Vice President), Dr. Azeema Farid (Joint Secretary), Dr. Zahid Ali Fahim (General Secretary), Ms. Saleema Gulzar (treasurer) and Dr. Zakiuddin Ahmed (President Elect). Initiatives The eHealth Association of Pakistan’s initiatives are based on the following five strategic areas:
1. Advocacy Articulate a compelling rationale based on stakeholder consensus to build awareness and increase adoption of eHealth in all sectors and institutions of Pakistan. Mechanism of engagement-Conferences, lectures, seminars, electronic and print communication channels etc.
2. Research and Development Identify, promote and support evidence based, nationwide research programs to identify needs, recognize barriers to access, and to evaluate the impact of eHealth on health outcomes.
3. Collect and Disseminate Resources Collect, develop and disseminate resources, knowledge, expertise, and effective professional practice through communication and distribution strategies that best meet the needs of stakeholders.
4. Policy Identify and integrate various (guidelines, standards, policies and legislation) at government, institutional levels to enable eHealth practice.5. Build Capacity Advance the art and science of teaching, learning, practicing, managing and leadership in eHealth through research, development, training and other capacity-enhancing activities.”
To know more about eHAP ,please visit : http://ehap.net.pk/